Prevalence of Infidelity in Canada
Investigation Hotline’s team of experienced private detectives routinely investigate cases of infidelity across Canada. Clients trust us to surveil and provide clear and indisputable proof of suspected infidelious activities. Although we understand that cheating is a common occurrence, we were curious to find out how prevalent this behaviour is amongst Canadians. To do so, we connected our subjective experience with quantitative data.
According to a poll conducted by Mainstreet Research for Postmedia News after the breach of Ashley Madison’s data, 22% of Canadians have seriously considered cheating on their partner. 10% of Canadians admit to having cheated on their significant other, with more men than women admitting to this behaviour. Thirteen percent of males and eight percent of females admitted to infidelity, and 23% of men and 20% of women have seriously considered committing the act.
How does our society define cheating? It seems that Canadians, for the most part, agree as to what constitutes cheating. When individuals disagree on the definition, it is mainly among gender lines. 17% of females believe that watching pornography is cheating compared to 9% of males.
The most commonly agreed upon definition of adultery is the act of having sex with someone other than your partner. Interestingly, six percent of Canadians do not believe sleeping with another individual is considered cheating, with eight percent believing the same when a prostitute is involved.
How do Canadians stack up against the rest of the world when it comes to infidelity? Here are a few worldwide statistics that shed light on the issue:
- 41% of married individuals admit to committing physical or emotional infidelity.
- 57% of men admit to cheating in a past relationship.
- 54% of women admit the same behaviour.
- 22% of married men have strayed at least once during their marriage.
- 14% of married women admit similar behaviour.
- 36% of individuals admit to having had an affair with a colleague.
- 35% of people admit to cheating on a business trip.
- 17% of men and women admit to committing adultery with either their brother-in-law or sister-in-law.
- 74% of men admit that they’d have an affair if they knew they’d never get caught.
- 68% of women admit to a similar thought process.
- The average length of an affair is two years.
- 2.5% of children are conceived during an affair.
If you believe that a partner or spouse may be committing adultery, we suggest that you contact Investigation Hotline . We understand that contacting a private investigator to surveil a loved one is difficult. Our team of investigative professionals will provide you the peace of mind and truth you require to ease feelings of doubt, anxiety and uncertainty that you may be struggling with.